Sunday, July 27, 2014

Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher: Review

Before I start typing the review in here, I want to tell you all that I'm really sorry. I've missed a lot of Friday Feels, and I'm sorry, I think I'm cancelling the feature. I posted nothing in more than a week, and all that without some notice.
There are some breaks in school, and in those breaks, I read books, but unfortunately, I find no time to post my reviews. It's either I'm busy, or our computer's busy. I just got a little lucky this weekend. Again, I am truly very sorry.
Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin)
Format/s I have: Paperback from Fully Booked
Summary:
You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret is to press play.

Clay Jensen doesn't want anything to do with the tapes Hannah Baker made. Hannah is dead. Her secrets should be buried with her. 
Then Hannah's voice tells Clay that his name is on the tapes- and that he is, in some way, responsible for her death.
All through the night, Clay keeps listening. He follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his small town...
...and what he discovers changes his life forever.

Review/Reaction:

First of all, big thanks to three of my batchmates and my sister who contributed a lot in making me want to grab a copy.

Thirteen Reasons Why is an eye opener, and for some reason, it made me cry.

This book is just brilliant. Ellen Hopkins is right, this is a book that you can't get out of your mind.

Jay Asher delivers a great thought as the book goes on: We should be aware of how we treat others. How our actions affect them. Because of this book, I shall be more sensitive with what I do.

This book also deals with trust. Hannah just trusted that one person, and BAM, her life was ruined. And she just needed a break from it. But, the people around her just won't give her that.

But, some people might think that the book is unrealistic.
Yes, I agree that most of her reasons happen to many people, but there's this thing they call the snowball effect. I got the term itself from the book. Her reasons may seem light, but the combination isn't. Say, Hannah has been wounded by that reason, and before it heals, another stab comes, and then another, and another, you get the thought. As I see it, one of the biggest things that teens want, is acceptance. Some leave value for acceptance, but Hannah got neither. 
Her family either wasn't mentioned, or were too gone to be significant. I've read a review on Goodreads saying, where is her family to help her? Look, not all people open up fully to their family. I think it's in tape 12, Hannah requesting the people on the list to hide the reasons why to her parents. (Correct me if I misunderstood)
Each one of us is different, some people are strong enough not to make a big deal out of those, but Hannah is that type of person who's easily hurt, and we should be aware that there are people like her. People handle situations differently.

I see the book as a sad and beautiful one. But hey, I'm not saying that suicide is right. In fact, I think it is, in a way, selfish. As I see it, they want an escape to their problems, and just end life. Don't they see that their suicide adds problems to the people who care? Plus, yes, they ended their life. But, they won't even feel like their troubles are over. It's actually better to find a way to solve the problems than to just take it in until you explode.

This book, therefore, opens up a lot of talking. 

I started looking more at the positive side when I started trying to give reactions with what I read, and what I can say is:
I see this book as a help for my stronger self, and a reminder for me to have some more filtering with what I do. I don't see it as Jay Asher telling us it's okay to commit suicide!!!. Because this book was meant to reduce the number of suicidal people.

My Rating: 5 potatoes c:

No comments:

Post a Comment